Monday 1 October 2012

Autumn cleaning


Clearly I have less motivation to write rubbish now that there are pubs around. I'm t6hinking of becoming the consummate hypocrite and transferring to twitter. The character limit I seems to suit my current productivity levels, both in blogging and actual work. Yup, struggling to get writing at the uni. Fortunately I've had some classwork and some labwork to allow me to pretend I'm actually working! Never mind. Snow forecast for midweek, so I'm sure the enforced shut in will help!

What's been happening in Saskatoon? Same old same old. I did the KinSpin 5k fun run organised by the kinesiology department. It's a pretty nice event, very laid back. I think I annoyed the girl who went on to win by leading out the first 500m. We both got a bit confused at a badly marked corner. I made a conversational comment, but she just ignored me and pulled off into the distance. The race itself wasn't that competitive. There was that girl who was wearing a triathlon club t-shirt, and older guy who ran past me and straight to the portaloo at 2.5k, and a younger guy who went past me, but I went past again in the last 500m. I didn't see anyone else during the race. I think I prefer being in the pack. Easier to keep the pace up. You may have worked out that I was 2nd across the line. I think this is more a result of poor planning rather than any performance on my part. There were two other races on the same day in the city, and the uni cross country team had a meet too. And although I ran 19m17s, I also measured the course as 4.5km. So not exactly a terrifying speed! I would recommend the event to anyone. It's a true all abilities event, and has a good atmosphere. I'm assuming there were no positional prizes, although I may be wrong and have looked very ignorant by disappearing 5 mins after finishing...

Fitness stuff is boring though. More fun is going to student events where there is forced social interaction. I really hate things like that, because it plays to my weaknesses. Mainly not being very talkative, especially with people I don't know. So that usually leaves me standing on my own feeling like the proverbial spare one at a wedding. There were 2 free beers promised though, which is enough to bribe me in! Also, I did actually sort of know a few people, so it was as horrifyingly awkward as usual. And of course, I was one of the last to leave the pub at about 2am. And sorry, but no hilarious stories of drunken idiocy! I'm almost disappointing myself!

There's probably a lot more that has been going on, but I have a shit memory, so if I don't get it down at the time, it doesn't get written! That bodes well for thesis writing... I am getting annoyed that I've seen a few funny signs, but haven't had time to get a photo, as we're generally driving past them. The only one I can remember just now was;
"End of Summer Rim Clearance!" Becasue you wouldn't want dangleberries heading into Autumn!

Apart from yet again posting my latest mixing of tunage HERE, that's your lot for today!


UPDATE
Talking about running races where speed may not be the main focus, the Glasgow Men's 10K has had its funding axed. This is terrible news for lots of reasons, one being that it is actually a good event at getting your average walking heart attack Scottish male doing something healthy (a truly all ability event), and another that it's the race I like to beat my friends in. Except Jamie Crawford. He's not my friend on race day. Anyway if you feel moved to help out, you can read about it and donate HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment